We’ve talked a lot about how Chase cards are good to start out with (if you missed why, this is a good article on Chase).
One downside to Chase, though, is that they don’t generally like being your first credit card company. If you have little or no credit history, there’s a good chance Chase will deny your application– even for their most basic card.
The good news is that there are still plenty of cards to choose from! Once you’ve used another card for a few months, you can try applying for a Chase card again and chances are you’ll be approved once they’ve had a look at your recent credit history.
What Card Should I Get?
There are lots of good cards out there. If you’ve been having a difficult time getting approved for a card, a good card to start off with for you could be the Discover IT Card. This card is generally easier to get approved for, and it has some great benefits!
4 Benefits of the Discover IT Card
- You can earn 5 % cashback. The card will give you cashback in different categories that change throughout the year. For example, right now until the end of June you can earn 5% cashback at grocery stores on up to $1,500 in purchases. During other times of the year, you can earn cashback on other things like gas and restaurants. (If you want more specifics, there’s a cashback calender you can see by going to the application link I’ll put below for the card.) One suggestion for right now is that if you’re not planning on buying a bunch of groceries in the next few weeks, you buy gift cards for groceries stores (directly from the grocery store) using the Discover IT credit card. Then you’ll be able to buy groceries at a discount whenever you want them– at least until your gift cards run out!
- You can earn 1 % cashback. On top of the 5% cashback on some purchases, the card will give you 1% cashback on all other purchases. There is no limit to how much you can earn through the 1% cashback bonus.
- There’s no annual fee, and they actually give you $50 just for signing up!
- At the end of your first year of having the card, they take the cash back you earned (that we talked about above) and double it! So if you earned $300 back, at the end of your first year they’ll give you an additional $300 back!
Getting money back is always nice! Of course, if you’re wanting to earn points for travel it may be a bit disappointing not earning points through the Discover IT Card. It is an awesome way, though, to start building a good credit history in preparation for getting other cards that will give you points for travel.
How to Apply
It’s easy to apply! Just click on the link below and it’ll take you to the application form.
I’m not affiliated with Discover, but if you sign up using the referral link below, I will earn a little money. You get the same deal whether you use my link or just go to the website without it. If you’d like to use our link, it’s below!
- To apply for the Discover IT Card go here.
Do You Have Any Questions?
Feel free to send us an email or comment below if you have any questions or comments! We’re always happy to help and love hearing from you all!